Friends of the Children - Portland is looking for an extraordinary Accounting Manager.
For 25 years, our model has been proven to break the cycle of generational poverty for our most vulnerable children facing the greatest challenges. Thanks to our exceptional outcomes and relationships in the community, Friends of the Children has been ranked the #1 Most Admired Non-Profit in Oregon and SW Washington by the Portland Business Journal for three consecutive years.
Friends of the Children Portland is at an exciting point in our trajectory. We are celebrating 25 years of impact in Portland and building the foundation for the next 25 years. We have just launched a five-year strategic plan that will expand and enhance our program capacity and sharpen our focus on our program data to inform youth service and empower youth to achieve their long-term self-sufficiency goals.
We are seeking an Accounting Manager to join our extraordinary and fun-loving Finance Department.
Do you have five years of financial accounting experience and at least two years of experience managing an accounting department and supervising people? Have you mastered non-profit accounting operations? Are you highly organized, flexible, and ready to manage a wide range of accounting responsibilities? If so, please read on for some more information about our ideal candidate.
Basic Function/Position Objective:
The Finance Department performs accounting functions for two entities: Friends of the Children - Portland Foundation.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises the Senior Accountant and Staff Accountant and, as necessary, interns and temporary staff to ensure that work is properly assigned and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and budgeting and forecasting activities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with director-level staff, the Executive Director, and the Chief Financial Officer which requires strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department.
- Support the Staff Accountant and Senior Accountant to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure an accurate and timely month-end and year-end close.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for both entities.
- Project manage budgeting and forecasting activities under the guidance of the CFO.
- Collaborate with development department managers for financial reporting.
- Compute, prepare, and submit grant invoices.
- Review payroll drafts and journal entries prepared by the Senior Accountant. Serve as back up payroll resource.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Director, and other managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Support Chief Financial Officer with special projects and workflow process improvements.
Required competencies, skills and abilities:
- 5+ years of financial accounting experience.
- 2+ years of supervisory and accounting function management experience.
- Strong GAAP/internal controls knowledge.
- Experience in supporting multiple business entities simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably with an accounting or business concentration.
Preferred competencies, skills and abilities:
- Non-profit fund accounting experience.
- Audit experience. CPA a plus.
- Grant accounting experience.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge.
$60,000 - $75,000 depending on experience