We are seeking an Accounting Manager to join our extraordinary and fun-loving Finance Department.
Do you have five years of financial accounting experience and have you mastered the operations of multiple entity accounting?? Are you flexible and ready to manage a wide range of accounting responsibilities? If so, please read on for some more information about our ideal candidate.
- You can perform multiple tasks with excellent results, are able to improve existing processes and create new ones as our organization continues to grow and change.
- You accept as a challenge the management of loads of details. As a non-profit organization, our accounting world includes multiple projects, entities and funds. These can be overwhelming at first, but you are able to learn quickly and these details will soon be just part of another day in your life. While you do believe that there isn’t such a thing as too much attention to detail, you maintain perspective about the big picture and stay focused on meeting your deadlines.
- In the world of accounting software, bonus points for prior experience with The Financial Edge and/or The Raisers Edge
- Excel is almost a second language to you.
- Because you are a busy person, your time management skills are above average and you thrive in a fast-paced workplace with a full inbox. You are able to communicate well with others about deadlines and deliverables.
- Working for an organization that inspires you is a critical part of your job search. You take pride in providing excellent customer service and results and know your work helps move the organization forward.
Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. Take responsibility for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. Supervise the Senior Accountant and Staff Accountant and, as necessary, interns and temporary staff to ensure that work is properly assigned and completed in a timely and accurate manner. Address tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and budgeting and forecasting activities. Regularly work with director-level staff, the Executive Director, and the Chief Financial Officer using strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department.
- Support the Staff Accountant and Senior Accountant to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure an accurate and timely month-end and year-end close.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for both entities.
- Project manage budgeting and forecasting activities under the guidance of the CFO.
- Collaborate with development department managers for financial reporting.
- Compute, prepare, and submit grant invoices.
- Review payroll drafts and journal entries prepared by the Senior Accountant. Serve as back up payroll resource.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Director, and other managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Support Chief Financial Officer with special projects and workflow process improvements.
Required competencies, skills and abilities:
- 5+ years of financial accounting experience.
- Experience in supporting multiple business entities simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably with an accounting or business concentration.
Preferred competencies, skills and abilities:
- Non-profit fund accounting experience. CPA a plus.
- Grant accounting experience.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge.
The salary range for this position will be $60,000 to $70,000 annually.
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
Friends of the Children pays 100% of the group insurance premiums for each regular full-time employee and generally a pro-rated portion of the premium for regular, part-time employees. In general, the following benefits are among those provided: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Coverage Plan, Flexible Spending Account, Employee Savings (401k) Plan, Long & Short Term Disability, Life Insurance, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Paid time off includes 15 days of vacation, 10 days of sick leave, and 9 observed holidays.